Friday, March 14, 2008

Ch 8 Organize for Daily Writing

P. 176 " We make time for what we value.
Writing is one of the best ways I know for developing deep thinking, so
I make time for it."

I think she has given us this message on every page of this book.

P 178 "Fiction is difficult to write well ... so tell students to write your fiction stories at home."

I disagree, my kids have done a great job of two different fiction stories this year. We rewrote their own version of The Three Bears. They are so precious and you can hear so much voice in their stories. We also wrote a problem/solution story based on animal characters. Even my low writers got into this writing.

P. 189 "Eliminate Distractions
Have all pencil sharpening done before school and have a ready supply of sharpened pencils at hand to avoid the added ... time wasted."

I have two different students who hate to get started. One will stand at the pencil sharpener sharpening until there isn't anything left of his pencil. This would definitely stop him. : ) I read in this chapter that the reason kids can't get started is because they're not personally engaged in the topic. This is not the case with my other non writer. He's just afraid to start, I've had conferences with him many times but it doesn't change his apprehension to start the story. Somewhere he's got a block that keeps him from coming back and changing the beginning after he's written some or all of the piece if he doesn't like the starter. I will achieve a personal goal if I get him writing before he has time to consider he's already started!

5 comments:

PHuston said...

I so relate with these students in the classroom. We must all have one or two that create these challenges. I also like the thought of eliminating distractions.

Mindy Wills said...

It seems that no matter how you set up structures and procedures, there is always that one or two students who can't get going. I guess we just keep rising to the challenges and limit distractions the best we can.

Tammy Gilley said...

See Patty Gould. Ask her to copy for you the pages about "The Power of the White" in the Written and Illustrated Book. The purpose of this little story is just get started. It may be something your student can relate too. Also, I always have one or two students that just don't like to write. I find that they are more successful when I allow them to use the keyboard. I must say I am guilty of the same thing. If I have to use a pencil it seems more difficult, but give me a keyboard and I can type forever.

Carol Richerson said...

Jera,

I wonder if writing just hasn't clicked with them yet... :)
You do such an awesome job, I cannot imagine why they are not excited about writing!

They may surprise you yet!!

Sillin Spotlights said...

I can sympathize with your pencil dilemma. I have students who literally don't have pencils. I keep some sharpened in a container. The kids have to exchange me something for a sharpened pencil. I only ask for "good stuff" to exchange, so I always manage to get my pencils returned.
Good luck with your hesitant student. I think you will succeed!