Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ch 7 Be Efficient and Integrate Basic Skills

p. 141 "We've been overfocused on standards, rubrics, a correct teaching sequence, procedures isolated skills and looking for the "right" program. Instead of asking What skills should I be teaching? we need to ask How can I be a more effective teacher of writing? and How can I engage my students' hearts and minds so they want to write and do their best writing?"

This says it all!

p. 144 "Having students share their writing regularly as a basis for celebration and great teaching moments."

They beg to share, and when we run out of time without giving everyone a chance, they'll let me know.


p. 145 "One of the problems with skills teaching is it leaves out the audience."

Teaching isolated skills makes teaching writing awful.


p. 147 "Voiceless writing is like soup with no seasoning. Remember, though you can identify voice, but you can't measure or quantify it."

What does this say about 6 trait scoring?

p. 149 Here's how I respect such mandates but still teaching in a way that makes sense...I will teach your students how to do all that is required... engage students in writing about topics they care about for a reader who matters to them."



7 comments:

K Styes said...

The quote about not being able to quantify voice is interesting. I think "voice" is very difficult to teach - - sometimes I feel like a student either has it or doesn't have it. As teachers, what can we do to help "voice" evolve? I've been telling my students to write like they're talking to me. I've seen some improvement, but not as much as I would like. "Voice" puzzles me!

janicegreen said...

I find when I truly engage the heart and mind of my students their voice just naturally appears. It also appears more readily when they love what they are writing and telling me about it on a personal level. I find this is not always easy to do with every assignment.

PHuston said...

I also tell my students to 'talk to me' as they write, which supports they need an audience. I love to see their voice come through as they write. It is like hearing them talk.

Tammy Gilley said...

The best way I have found to teach voice is to model, model, model, and read, read, read. Point it out when you read aloud or as a group. Focus on the author's craft. How did the author make us feel scared, happy, etc. Did he use a metaphor, a simile, word choice? Take that segment of writing from the piece your reading and write your own example. Also, in those group conferences with the class point those example out. Talk with other students ask them to describe to the rest of the group how they wrote that. What was their thought process? These are my best examples of how to teach voice.

Vicky Richardson said...

I also try to point out great voice when I do a read aloud. I agree it is hard to teach though. On the rubric for the DARE essay, the column for voice says, "It's me!" I try to share some great examples, but I agree with Kris, it seems some students just have it, and some don't.

Mrs. Voth said...

I also agreed with the quote on p. 141. I do feel that with Tamara's direction and the ideas from this book, I am gaining some confidence in being a better teacher of writing. Before the focus was always on the traits, but it is so difficult to teach them in isolation. I at least now feel that I have a guide for teaching writing in a meaningful way.

Bernetta said...

Sharing is something that I have done a lot more of and my students love it. They're always excited to share!