Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ch 12 Make Every Minute Count

p. 282 Secrets of Good Writers
Good Writers
Think about their writing all the time
Get their behinds in the chair every day and write
Read a lot...noticing what authors do


P. 283 Look into Their Eyes
When I work in schools, I look into children's and teachers' eyes seeking to find learners who love what they do and who find energy in joyful work.

Since this book, I have changed my "old way" practices when teaching writing but it takes revisiting the important ideas in this book before it becomes an every day routine. I honestly feel more confident in working with my kids and their writing. Thank you, all!

p. 287 My Best Advice
1. Keep it short.
2. Keep it simple.
3. Slow it down.
4. Start with the whole.
5. Move on.
6. Teach it first. Label it later.
7. Trust yourself as a writer and as a teacher of writing.
8. Stop when energy is high.
9. Use common sense.
10. Enjoy writing!

3 comments:

Carol Richerson said...

Jera,

I feel the same way. I really have changed how I present the writing project and also how we work through the writing process. It is so much more relaxed! Yeah!!

Mrs. Voth said...

We've had discussions about writing practices within our team before this book, and I feel that by us being a part of this study group, some of our missing pieces are now in place.

Bernetta said...

I too have noticed that there is so much to absorb from this book, that requires me to keep referring back to the book. I think it will be an excellent resource for years to come.